Fair Wind provides sailing courses that follow the strict sailing instruction certification standards of both the International Charter Sailing Organization (ICSO). The ICSO curriculum provides the most amount of time sailing the boat. Since adults learn by doing, these programs are the best way to learn to sail. Fair Wind Sailing School offers sailing courses in: Basic Keelboat; Basic Cruising; Bareboat Charter; Coastal Navigation; Advanced Sailing Instruction; Celestial Navigation; and Catamaran Sailing. Fair Wind Sailing School offers ocean passage experiences too. All of our courses provide the terminology and knowledge to safely sail, while providing the most possible time on teh water actually sailing the boat. Our experienced instructors guide you throught he curriculum and provide a resource that facilitates your learning. Our curriculum, instruction and experience add up to the top learning experience. That's why we are the only school that offers the Fair Wind Guarantee.
We offer sailing lessons that allow you to learn to sail on the weekend, weekday or all week long.
CLICK ON THE LEARN TO SAIL COURSE TITLE TO READ THE DESCRIPTION
- Learn to Sail Lessons $595
- Not sure if you really want to learn to sail? Want to give it a try? These are the sailing courses for you. This is 2 day introductory sailing instruction for those interested in giving sailing a first try. Successful completion of this course enables the graduate to responsibly skipper or crew a day sailor in familiar waters in light to moderate wind and sea conditions. There is no written exam and no certification at this level and meals are not included with this course. Classes run concurrently with our Instant Cruiser Lessons. See our Great Lakes Schedule Here or our Chesapeake Bay Schedule Here
- Instant Cruiser® Sailing Lessons $795
- These are three day sailing lessons combining Basic Keelboat Lessons and Basic Cruising Sailing Lessons. These sailing lessons are for those who want to learn to sail, are preparing to day charter, or are thinking about buying a sail boat. The curriculum includes more detailed boat handling, safety procedures and rules of the road. Completion of this course enables the student to safely captain an auxiliary powered sailboat 20-32 feet in length in moderate seas and winds. No prior sailing experience is necessary for this course. Successful completion of this class enables students to charter sail boats under 35 feel long. ICSO Day-Charter certification is included in this class. Meals are not included. See our Great Lakes Schedule Here or our Chesapeake Bay Schedule Here
- Instant Bareboater® Sailing Lessons $1595-$2095
- Fair Wind Sailing School’s most popular sailing lessons! These are week long, live-aboard sailing lessons designed to for students who want to learn to sail for extended cruising and bareboat charters. When you complete this sailing instruction, you are ready to bareboat charter on your own! The course covers ICSO certification at the Bareboat Chartering level. This course prepares student to skipper boats as large as 50 feet. In addition it covers key boat systems required to live aboard a sail boat, like: engine maintenance, cooking and provisioning procedures and basic marine electrical and plumbing systems. The sailing instruction also introduces the student to basic coastal navigation techniques. No prior sailing experience is necessary for these sailing lessons. Successful completion of this class enables students to charter any of our monohull sail boats. Instant Bareboater classes are run in all our locations. For schedules, see: Virgin Islands Schedule, Bahamas Schedule, Lake Erie Schedule, Chesapeake Bay Schedule.
- Cruising Catamaran Sailing Lessons $995*
This class covers the cruising catamaran curriculum for those already Bareboat Charter certified. These 3 day sailing lessons are advanced lessons designed to teach students to learn to sail on a 30-50 foot multihull by day in coastal waters. It is the ideal sailing instruction for those with sailing experience who are ready to learn to sail cruising catamarans or chartering multihulls. The class may also be taken in combination with our Instant Bareboater® sailing class. Successful completion of this class enables students to charter any of our sail boats. Meals are not included in these sailing lessons. Lessons are scheduled on request. Give us a call on 866-380-SAIL to schedule or for more information.
* Pricing for this class is per person double-occupancy.
There is an extra $300 charge for singles
- Instant Bareboater® Sailing Lessons plus Catamaran Sailing Lessons $2095*
These sailing lesson combine Fair Wind Sailing School’s most popular sailing instruction -- the Instant Bareboater® Instruction -- with the Catamaran Sailing Instruction certification and are taught on our Leopard cats. These are week long, live-aboard sailing lessons designed to prepare students to learn to sail or bareboat charter cruising catamarans. When you complete this sailing instruction, you are ready to bareboat charter a cat on your own! The course covers ICSO ertification in Basic Keelboat, Basic Cruising , Bareboat Charteing, and Catamaran Sailing. This sailing instruction prepares student to skipper boats as large as 50 feet. In addition it covers key boat systems required to live aboard a sail boat, like: engine maintenance, cooking and provisioning procedures and basic marine electrical and plumbing systems. The course also introduces the student to basic coastal navigation techniques. No prior sailing experience is necessary for these sailing lessons. Successful completion of this class enables students to charter any of our sail boats.
* Pricing for this class is per person double-occupancy.
There is an extra $200 charge for singles
- Navigation and Advanced Sailing Lessons $2295
- This is a weeklong course designed to train experienced sailors in coastal navigation techniques and boat handling in any condition, day or night, in coastal waters. This course teaches the student to learn to sail at nighttime, perform man over board and emergency procedures at night. Our curriculum covers Coastal Navigation and Coastal Passagemaking. Bareboat Certification is prerequisite for this course. The course can be taught on either a catamaran or monohull. See our Advanced Sailing Lessons Schedule here.
- Race Preparation - NEW! $1995
- Our newest course! Caribbean Race Preparation teaches the difference between racing and cruising. The 6 day class, has three days of race training, drilling and preparation learning and practicing the start, upwind sailing and mark turning, downwind sailing and the gybe mark, spinnaker sailing and the application or racing rules. Finally, we'll put the experience together by competing in either the St Thomas Rolex Regatta or BVI Race Week!
- Ocean Passagemaking Experience $2695
(includes Celestial Navigation)
The highest level of sailing – Fair Wind Sailing School’s Ocean Passage experience. This is the trip for those wishing offshore experience and applications of true blue water sailing. This experience covers certification in Celestial Navigation.
The trip begins with a 2-day Celestial Navigation class and then procedes with yacht preparation, weather planning and routing, offshore procedures, watch standing and emergency preparations. Please see our Ocean Passage page for more details and pictures Price includes boat fee, Captain, provisions, weather routing, running expenses, customs and immigration fees, books, exams and certification expenses. Course fee does NOT include: alcoholic beverages, personal safety gear and any expenses incurred off the boat.
See our Ocean Passage Schedule Here
- Coastal Navigation $275 / Celestial Navigation $295
We offer navigation classes both as part of our sailing passages and also as take home study courses. The take home version involves study at home, half-day review with the instructor and examination. When the course is taken as part of our passages, all information is taught, reviewed and tested as part of the voyage. This option is available for both Coastal Navigation and Celestial Navigation. The Coastal Navigation class includes: Reading tidal height and tidal current tables, magnetic to true (TVMDC) compass conversions, dead reckoning -- proper procedures and plotting, speed-time-distance calculations, lines of positions, 2 and 3 LOP fixes, running fixes, relative bearings, danger bearings, adjustments for current calculations and more!
Our pricing is inclusive of all on board expenses (except introductory courses), including: boat, instructor, provisions, meals, customs expenses, mooring fees, running expenses, text books, log books, certification fees and sales tax. The only exceptions would be alcoholic beverages and Instructor's gratuity if you think one is deserved.